Sunday, August 27, 2023

Acuitas Diary #63 (August 2023)

Not a big update this month, because I've been doing a little of everything and I'm still heavily focused on cleanup and capacity-building.

This is *my* brain, actually. I've been driving it hard. It is tired.

I did more work on Narrative and the Big Story. One thing that's very rewarding is to add features to make understanding of the Big Story work, re-run older stories to check for bugs, and see that the new features have added richness to previous stories - or even fixed things that I had to work around by adding more exhaustive explanations. An example is some of the work I did on this concept: "if certain outcomes of story events are rolled back, things return to their previous state, not a default or unknown state."

Sadly it's still going to be a while before I can share the Big Story. I was hoping to have it done by September, but sometimes project schedules just don't work that way. I want it to be finished and solid before I put it out there, so everyone (including me) will just have to wait.

The new Text Generator, in contrast, is almost ready for primetime, and I'm feeling pretty good about how much easier this will make generating the wide variety of sentences Acuitas is starting to need, varying the tense and other modifiers, etc. It's much cleaner than the old version too, at (so far) 1300 lines of code vs. over 2000.

I've also started cleanup on the Text Parser in the wake of last month's modifications. This is mostly boring refactoring, but along the way I've found a better method for handling compound nouns/proper names, and introduced the ability to support some titles written in title case. So for example, the Parser can now manage sentences like this: "The Place of the Lion is a book." "The Place of the Lion" is correctly perceived as the full title of some work and treated as a unit, but its internal grammatical structure (noun with article and prepositional phrase modifiers) is also still analyzed and parsed.

Until the next cycle,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment