Friday, September 9, 2022

Anycubic Vyper 3d Printer Review

Many of you may already be familiar with my recent decision to become a two-printer household. Here I'm doing a more formal write-up to help others decide whether a Vyper might be the right printer for them.

A Qidi Tech X-One 2 3d printer (blue metal box with plastic windows) sits next to an Anycubic Vyper 3d printer (vertical black metal frame with tan PEI build plate)
My little manufactory now.

My original printer is a Qidi Tech X-One 2, and you can read my early review of it here. Since I got it, the X-one 2 has produced all the pieces for three substantial projects - Ghost, Atronach's Eye, and ACE the quadruped - plus quite a few gifts for friends. So it's been a pretty solid workhorse, but I decided to add the second printer for several reasons.

1) I wanted a larger build volume. The X-One 2 can't print anything bigger than about 6x6x6 inches. The limitations of this became most obvious when I couldn't help print face shield parts during the early pandemic, because the models wouldn't fit. I can usually get around the limitation by splitting models and adding joins, but sometimes that just doesn't work. The Vyper's volume is much larger than the X-One's, and slightly larger than typical printers in its class, at 245 x 245 x 260 mm.

2) I wanted to potentially run both printers at once and accomplish projects faster.

3) I just wanted to try out one of the ubiquitous "Rep-Rap" style printers, with the open frame. This is a very different design from that of the X-One, which is a self-contained box. The X-One's print head is suspended from the upper inner portion of the box and moves in the XY directions, while the build plate moves along the vertical (Z) axis, along a lead screw. The Vyper moves its plate along the Y axis, and its print head along the X and Z axes.

A cat lying on top of an Anycubic Vyper 3d printer, disassembled in its box. The vertical part of the printer is visible nestled in black packing foam.
Unboxing and inspection

The Vyper also came with some quality-of-life improvements over the Qidi. It has automatic bed leveling. As careful as I was with the X-One's bed, in the end the only way to get it perfectly level was to do test prints and see how much the filament was "smashed" on different sides of the first layer. So this was a welcome feature - and possibly a must given the much larger print bed. The printing plate itself is a spring steel sheet coated with textured PEI (a slippery plastic), and magnetically attaches to the underlying heated bed. The idea is that you can remove the plate and bend it to peel away stubbornly attached prints.

The only real disadvantage of the Vyper, compared to my previous printer, is that it's not fully enclosed. So when I start wanting to print PETG or ABS on it, I'll probably need to rig up a tent for it to hold in heat. It also doesn't come fully assembled. But I'm feeling braver now than when I bought my first printer.

A cat clawing the packing foam of an Anycubic Vyper 3d printer, still in its box.
Packing foam must be destroyed.

The Vyper requires light assembly. The print head, the filament feeder, the bed mechanicals, etc. are already all together; the end user just needs to bolt the upright portion of the frame to the base, attach the touch screen and the filament holder, and connect some cables. All necessary tools are included. It took me (going cautiously) about an hour and a half to unbox the printer and put it together.

Base, build plate and included tools, shown packed in the small tool drawer that fits into the base.

Preparations for first print also went very smoothly, with one exception: the weak documentation forced me to look a couple of things up on the internet. This is another Chinese printer and I think they may not have used the greatest English translation services. To start bed leveling, you're supposed to "touch" the metal nozzle with a tool. I touched it repeatedly, to no avail, holding the wrench in different orientations in hopes of lining it up with some optical sensor. Turns out the sensor is neither optical nor capacitive; it's a pressure sensor. You have to *push* up on the nozzle, not just touch it. The other little hitch was that the printer's internal file system does not allow for folder navigation, so all GCODE files have to be in the root directory of the SD card (and the sample file that comes on the card is not!). So I had a brief scare when I repeatedly poked the folder name on the touchscreen and it wouldn't open. But this is apparently normal. You just have to read the SD card using a regular computer (this printer comes with a USB SD card reader too!) and move the sample file into root.

The Vyper heats itself to operating temperature before running the bed-leveling routine, presumably to make sure that the results account for thermal expansion of the parts. The print head will tap the bed with the nozzle in a mesh of locations to check and adjust the height. When I ran leveling for the first time, some plastic goop oozed out of the nozzle and left dots on the print bed. I take this as a good sign: QA must have run a test print, or at least checked filament feeding, before the printer was disassembled for shipping. I ended up running leveling a second time after the nozzle was cleaned out, just in case that leftover filament blobbing out of the nozzle interfered with results in any way. The automatic leveling seemed to work well. My first prints adhered to the bed just fine and had great-looking first layers.

So bed leveling just worked, and then filament feeding just worked - both into and out of the nozzle. This overcomes the biggest operational flaw of my X-One, which is frustrating to load and has *never* been able to retract filament successfully. I have to hold down the filament release lever and manually yank the filament out; telling the printer to retract it just results in slipping feed gears and the creation of a swelling in the warm filament below, after which I have to take apart the print head to get it out. The Vyper looks as though it could have more points of failure with its more complex feed path, but I had zero trouble loading my first PLA, then changing colors later.

Printing! The latest version of the eyeball cradle.

The Vyper feeder also has an extrusion tension knob, another feature new to me. My first print appeared to have slight signs of under-extrusion, so I made a small adjustment, and left it alone otherwise. For future maintenance purposes, there appear to be easily accessible mechanisms for tightening the belts. 

I decided to be brave and print directly on the PEI build surface, instead of covering it with tape. This also worked wonderfully. I was able to pull all four of my prints off without even removing the plate to bend it. One of them (a large, flattish piece) even released itself from the surface after being left to cool long enough, and was lying there loose when I came to get it.

Two 3d-printed Wolf School amulets, one in dark red PLA (left) and one in bright orange PLA (right). Top/front view.
First print from Vyper (left) compared with first print from X-One 2 (right). Model by Thingiverse user Daniel_W.

I've seen some reviewers complain that the magnetic build surface doesn't have any slots or guides to fit into, so it can be a pain to line it up perfectly when sticking it back onto the bed after print removal. I re-seated it when assembling the printer and found that yes, it's a little tricky, given that the strong magnet will try to pull it down fast and fight your attempts to shift it. I don't consider this an important issue. So it demands a little more care and coordination - oh well. I'm more concerned that the PEI surface isn't a sticker. If it gets scratched or gouged, I think you have to replace the whole spring steel plate, for about $25. But one of my future goals is experimenting with other surfaces, so I may end up layering something removable on top of it anyway.

I used Cura to slice my models, as I do for the X-One. It doesn't have printer-dimension presets for the Vyper yet, but the documentation will tell you how to start from existing presets and change the numbers to fit the Vyper. The manufacturer also provides recommended PLA print settings, which I loaded in and tweaked to my liking. No problems here.

The bottom sides of the two amulets. Red (Vyper-printed) amulet has a very even surface with a regular marbled texture on it. Bottom amulet (printed on tape) has traditional smushed diagonal lines plus some irregularities from boundaries between tape strips.
And the underside: first print from Vyper (top, textured PEI surface) compared with first print from X-One 2 (bottom, blue painter's tape). Model by Thingiverse user Daniel_W.

Print quality was great. I won't say "perfect," since I can see a few hints of wall irregularities, and the support situation on my first model was less than ideal. But I think quality is slightly better when compared with my very first print on the X-One (same model). I also haven't yet tried to really dial in the Cura settings.

After my initial test print, I put the Vyper straight to work on a new iteration of Atronach's eyeball (three parts, all PLA), and this went off without a hitch. I think that's a pretty good test for all the basic functionality. Prints I have yet to do include 1) something really detailed, like a miniature, 2) a print-in-place tolerance torture test, and 3) something in PETG.

A 3d-printed "eyeball" with a webcam mounted inside, sitting in its rotator cradle. Transparent nylon lines run like lines of longitude from holes around the "pupil" to the back of the eyeball.
The latest eyeball. More about this later!

On the whole I'm very happy with this printer. It was on sale on Newegg, and I got it for about $350 with free shipping. I was a little concerned about quality as compared to e.g. a Prusa, but at half the price I was willing to risk it, and I think that has paid off.

Until the next cycle,
Jenny

9 comments:

  1. My first (and so far only) printer's an Ender3 Pro, 235x235x250 (I think 250, might be 245) assembly was an hour and a few minutes, uses Marlin f/w so folders are no problem. Didn't come with BL-Touch bed levelling but also only cost the equivalent of $170USD with free delivery.

    Then again it had issues with a warped print bed, several V-wheels, and the control panel right out of the box, too. After checking around friends and acquaintances I decided I got the Friday afternoon "last one of the day, then we can go have a beer" product and emailed Creality about it.

    To my surprise they sent me a care package with enough wheels to replace everything, a new heated bed and flexi magnetic print surface, and control panel. THAT scored them enough brownie points that I talked three friends into getting various Ender3 models, so I guess that proves that one happy customer is worth three new sales...

    Wish you every success and enjoyment with the Vyper!

    (PS: A joke:
    "Ssss!!!! I am ze Vyper!"
    "aaaah! nooo! who? what?"
    " I - am - ze - Vyper!!!!!"
    "but i've been good! why are you here? are you going to kill me?"
    "Ach sszzylly perssson - I've come to vype your vyndows!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound like some pretty good service! I considered getting an Ender, but was lured by the Vyper's slightly larger volume and additional features.

      My house could probably use a visit from ... that other Vyper. Now I'm thinking how difficult it would be to get my AI to ever figure out that joke. Haha.

      Delete
  2. There's more to the E3Pro story:

    I then bought two glass print surfaces from Creality, a BL-Touch levelling sensor, direct extrusion gantry and hot end, and even a new BTT motherboard for it from various suppliers over the following year.

    So now if anyone has a printer frame, I can *build* myself a second printer now, and all those parts cost less than the original printer did, so I'm scanning local BSS sites for anyone wanting to quit another printer...

    With the CANONicalCNC project I'd bought aluminium extrusion, timing belts and spare stepper motors and pulleys and so forth etc so in theory I can just build a whole new printer already.

    Best part: Almost ALL of the upgrades and bits were paid for by doing focus groups and surveys online. I won't say how much time that cost me, suffice to say I was probably "working" for about $2AUD an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! The low-friction strings add a certain flair, I think.

      Delete
  4. If it's a Reprap style system as in using a RAMPS board, you might want to make sure they're using an off-board MOSFET for the print bed heater. The older specs at least were very poorly designed. Their heated bed connector was rated to 6A but the bed drew 12+. Mine set itself on fire, but the component selection saved me. It was a blistering, self extinguishing plastic that basically unplugged itself.

    Off the cuff, I'd worry about bed draw. All you really need to do is make sure the temperature of the connectors and wires don't run away, but I was lucky. It could've been much worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really only referring to the general form factor. This printer's control board is called a TriGorilla+. It probably still wouldn't hurt me to check cable and connector temperatures, especially if I start printing PETG on it and heating the bed more. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  5. Whoa, that'd be a pretty scary thing to have happen. Glad it turned out better than it might have. Those XT30 and XT60 connectors were used on Creality printers too, and there was a substandard batch in circulation, leading to a whole slew of different brands of printers trying to catch fire. Visually identical, electrically something under-spec in the metal.

    But MOSFETs are always a good idea when there's any doubt.

    Oh one other thing I found: (I'd started a Discord with a handful of friends around the world because I was isolated as far as tech community was concerned)

    The screw-down terminals on a few printers weren't securely done up ex factory so they burned the bed heater wires off inside the electronics housing.

    I can't remember all of them but the Ender3 Pro was among them so the first thing I did after assembly was check, but mine was fine and anyway Creality eventually replaced the whole heated bed and print surface for entirely different reasons so I got to make sure the new one was all good, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when I was buying my first printer, making sure that the X-One 2 did not have any Amazon reviews that said "mine caught on fire." Some printers did, and it was a spooky thing to see.

      The X-One has behaved so well - occasional kinked filaments and clogged nozzles, yes, but nothing house-threatening - that I've probably been lulled into a false sense of security. I don't usually run a print if I'm going to be away for the day, though.

      Delete