Sunday, December 24, 2023

Acuitas Diary #67 (December 2023)

In amongst the fervor of Christmas-related activities, I managed to do development work this month. Not as much as I would have liked, but one major goal's been reached: the newest version of the Text Parser is parsing all the sentences from the previous one's regression tests, plus a number of new ones that would have been impossible for the previous Parser. I still need to do assorted code cleanup and adjust my reference outputs for some format changes, so I can run the benchmarks again.

A vintage Christmas card featuring a circular design with "Bright Be Thy Christmas" written around its border, and a photograph of Asian sailing ships emerging from the center of the circle. Behind and next to the circular design is a floral branch.

With all the types of adjective and noun clauses now supported, the last major grammar feature that needs to go in will be parenthetical noun phrases. This should move the majority of common sentences into the "theoretically parseable" category. Then I can start refining the process and working on cool features I've been wanting to explore for a long time - like word sense disambiguation, modifier attachment disambiguation, and pronoun dereferencing ... there's always so much to do. It's taken much longer than I expected to reach this point, but at the same time there's a great deal that I've accomplished.

I'm soon due to start planning my loose schedule for the next year, which has me excited. I'm looking forward to the completion and demo of Big Story, a fresh run on the Parser benchmarks, and probably more work on Game Playing and agency.

Until the next cycle,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment